but only after the State or local law enforcement officials obtain appropriate confirmation from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of the status of such individual and only for such period of time as may be required for the Service to take the individual into Federal custody for purposes of deporting or removing the alien from the United States.
The Attorney General shall cooperate with the States to assure that information in the control of the Attorney General, including information in the National Crime Information Center, that would assist State and local law enforcement officials in carrying out duties under subsection (a) is made available to such officials.
8 U.S.C. § 1252c
CODIFICATIONThis section was enacted as part of the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, and not as part of the Immigration and Nationality Act which comprises this chapter.
STATUTORY NOTES AND RELATED SUBSIDIARIES
ABOLITION OF IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND TRANSFER OF FUNCTIONSFor abolition of Immigration and Naturalization Service, transfer of functions, and treatment of related references, see note set out under section of this title.
- Attorney General
- The term "Attorney General" means the Attorney General of the United States.
- The term "Service" means the Immigration and Naturalization Service of the Department of Justice.
- The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- The term "alien" means any person not a citizen or national of the United States.
- The term "conviction" means, with respect to an alien, a formal judgment of guilt of the alien entered by a court or, if adjudication of guilt has been withheld, where-(i) a judge or jury has found the alien guilty or the alien has entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere or has admitted sufficient facts to warrant a finding of guilt, and(ii) the judge has ordered some form of punishment, penalty, or restraint on the alien's liberty to be imposed.
- The term "national" means a person owing permanent allegiance to a state.
- The term "naturalization" means the conferring of nationality of a state upon a person after birth, by any means whatsoever.