When used in this chapter the term "packer" means any person engaged in the business (a) of buying livestock in commerce for purposes of slaughter, or (b) of manufacturing or preparing meats or meat food products for sale or shipment in commerce, or (c) of marketing meats, meat food products, or livestock products in an unmanufactured form acting as a wholesale broker, dealer, or distributor in commerce.
7 U.S.C. § 191
AMENDMENTS1976- Pub. L. 94-410 substituted definition of "packer" for former definition which included provisions dealing with direct or indirect control of specified businesses through stock ownership or otherwise.
- The term "commerce" means commerce between any State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof; or between points within the same State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, but through any place outside thereof; or within any Territory or possession, or the District of Columbia.
- livestock products
- The term "livestock products" means all products and byproducts (other than meats and meat food products) of the slaughtering and meat-packing industry derived in whole or in part from livestock;
- The term "livestock" means cattle, sheep, swine, horses, mules, or goats-whether live or dead;
- meat food products
- The term "meat food products" means all products and byproducts of the slaughtering and meat-packing industry-if edible;
- The term "person" includes individuals, partnerships, corporations, and associations;