For the purpose of this part-
In no event shall the application of this term permit a proposed new or modified source to emit any pollutant in excess of the amount allowable under applicable new source standards of performance.
42 U.S.C. § 7501
AMENDMENTS1990- Pub. L. 101-549, §102(a)(2)(A), struck out "and section air pollutant (including substantial reductions in the early years following approval or promulgation of plan provisions under this part and section of this title and regular reductions thereafter) which are sufficient in the judgment of the Administrator, to provide for attainment of the applicable national ambient air quality standard by the date required in section of this title. "(2) The term 'nonattainment area' means, for any air pollutant an area which is shown by monitored data or which is calculated by air quality modeling (or other methods determined by the Administrator to be reliable) to exceed any national ambient air quality standard for such pollutant. Such term includes any area identified under subparagraphs (A) through (C) of section of this title."of this title" after "purpose of this part".Pars. (1), (2). Pub. L. 101-549, §102(a)(2)(B), (C), amended pars. (1) and (2) generally. Prior to amendment, pars. (1) and (2) read as follows:"(1) The term 'reasonable further progress' means annual incremental reductions in emissions of the applicable
EFFECTIVE DATEPart effective Aug. 7, 1977, except as otherwise expressly provided, see section 406(d) of Pub. L. 95-95 set out as an Effective Date of 1977 Amendment note under sectionof this title.
- The term "Administrator" means the Administrator of General Services.
- The term "State" means a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa and includes the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- air pollutant
- The term "air pollutant" means any air pollution agent or combination of such agents, including any physical, chemical, biological, radioactive (including source material, special nuclear material, and byproduct material) substance or matter which is emitted into or otherwise enters the ambient air. Such term includes any precursors to the formation of any air pollutant, to the extent the Administrator has identified such precursor or precursors for the particular purpose for which the term "air pollutant" is used.
- The term "owner" means, with respect to federally assisted housing, the entity or private person, including a cooperative or public housing agency, that has the legal right to lease or sublease dwelling units in such housing.
- emission limitation
- The terms "emission limitation" and "emission standard" mean a requirement established by the State or the Administrator which limits the quantity, rate, or concentration of emissions of air pollutants on a continuous basis, including any requirement relating to the operation or maintenance of a source to assure continuous emission reduction, and any design, equipment, work practice or operational standard promulgated under this chapter..1