33 U.S.C. § 932
AMENDMENTS1984-Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 98-426, §27(a)(2), substituted "Secretary" for "commission". See Transfer of Functions note set out under section of this title.Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 98-426, §20, inserted "based on the employer's financial condition, the employer's previous record of payments, and other relevant factors," after "in an amount determined by the commission,".Pub. L. 98-426, §27(a)(2), substituted "Secretary" for "commission". See Transfer of Functions note set out under section of this title.Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 98-426, §27(a)(2), substituted "Secretary" for "commission". See Transfer of Functions note set out under section of this title.
STATUTORY NOTES AND RELATED SUBSIDIARIES
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1984 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 98-426 effective Sept. 28, 1984, see section 28(e)(1) of Pub. L. 98-426 set out as a note under sectionof this title.
- "Compensation" means the money allowance payable to an employee or to his dependents as provided for in this chapter, and includes funeral benefits provided therein.
- The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Labor.
- The term "State" includes a Territory and the District of Columbia.
- The term "carrier" means any person or fund authorized under section 932 of this title to insure under this chapter and includes self-insurers.
- The term "employer" means an employer any of whose employees are employed in maritime employment, in whole or in part, upon the navigable waters of the United States (including any adjoining pier, wharf, dry dock, terminal, building way, marine railway, or other adjoining area customarily used by an employer in loading, unloading, repairing, or building a vessel).
- The term "injury" means accidental injury or death arising out of and in the course of employment, and such occupational disease or infection as arises naturally out of such employment or as naturally or unavoidably results from such accidental injury, and includes an injury caused by the willful act of a third person directed against an employee because of his employment.
- The term "person" means individual, partnership, corporation, or association.