29 U.S.C. § 215
AMENDMENTS1949-Subsec. (a)(1). Act Oct. 26, 1949, §13(a), inserted provision protecting purchaser in good faith in sale of goods produced in violation of this chapter. Subsec. (a)(5). Act Oct. 26, 1949, §13(b), inserted "or any regulation or order made or continued in effect under the provisions of section of this title" after "211(c) of this title".
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1949 AMENDMENT Amendment by act Oct. 26, 1949, effective ninety days after Oct. 26, 1949, see section 16(a) of act Oct. 26, 1949, set out as a note under sectionof this title.
TRANSFER OF FUNCTIONSFor transfer of functions of other officers, employees, and agencies of Department of Labor, with certain exceptions, to Secretary of Labor, with power to delegate, see Reorg. Plan No. 6 of 1950, §§1, 2, 15 F.R. 3174, 64 Stat. 1263, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
LIABILITY OF PUBLIC AGENCY FOR DISCRIMINATION AGAINST EMPLOYEE FOR ASSERTION OF COVERAGEPub. L. 99-150, §8, Nov. 13, 1985, 99 Stat. 791, provided that: "A public agency which is a State, political subdivision of a State, or an interstate governmental agency and which discriminates or has discriminated against an employee with respect to the employee's wages or other terms or conditions of employment because on or after February 19, 1985, the employee asserted coverage under section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 [ ] shall be held to have violated section 15(a)(3) of such Act [ ]. The protection against discrimination afforded by the preceding sentence shall be available after August 1, 1986, only for an employee who takes an action described in section 15(a)(3) of such Act."
- "Commerce" means trade, commerce, transportation, transmission, or communication among the several States or between any State and any place outside thereof.
- "Goods" means goods (including ships and marine equipment), wares, products, commodities, merchandise, or articles or subjects of commerce of any character, or any part or ingredient thereof, but does not include goods after their delivery into the actual physical possession of the ultimate consumer thereof other than a producer, manufacturer, or processor thereof.
- "Industry" means a trade, business, industry, or other activity, or branch or group thereof, in which individuals are gainfully employed.
- "Person" means an individual, partnership, association, corporation, business trust, legal representative, or any organized group of persons.
- "Produced" means produced, manufactured, mined, handled, or in any other manner worked on in any State; and for the purposes of this chapter an employee shall be deemed to have been engaged in the production of goods if such employee was employed in producing, manufacturing, mining, handling, transporting, or in any other manner working on such goods, or in any closely related process or occupation directly essential to the production thereof, in any State.
- Public agency
- "Public agency" means the Government of the United States; the government of a State or political subdivision thereof; any agency of the United States (including the United States Postal Service and Postal Regulatory Commission), a State, or a political subdivision of a State; or any interstate governmental agency.
- "Secretary" means the Secretary of Labor.
- "State" means any State of the United States or the District of Columbia or any Territory or possession of the United States.