Any adjustment to a partnership-related item shall be determined, and any tax attributable thereto shall be assessed and collected, and the applicability of any penalty, addition to tax, or additional amount which relates to an adjustment to any such item shall be determined, at the partnership level, except to the extent otherwise provided in this subchapter.
This subchapter shall not apply with respect to any partnership for any taxable year if-
In the case of a partner that is an S corporation-
For purposes of paragraph (1)(D)(ii), the Secretary may provide for alternative identification of any foreign partners.
The Secretary may by regulation or other guidance prescribe rules similar to the rules of subparagraph (A) with respect to any partners not described in such subparagraph or paragraph (1)(C).
26 U.S.C. § 6221
PRIOR PROVISIONSA prior section 6221, added Pub. L. 97-248, title IV, §402(a), Sept. 3, 1982, 96 Stat. 648; amended Pub. L. 105-34, title XII, §1238(a), Aug. 5, 1997, 111 Stat. 1026, related to tax treatment determined at partnership level, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 114-74, title XI, §1101(a), Nov. 2, 2015, 129 Stat. 625.
AMENDMENTS2018-Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 115-141 amended subsec. (a) generally. Prior to amendment, text read as follows: "Any adjustment to items of income, gain, loss, deduction, or credit of a partnership for a partnership taxable year (and any partner's distributive share thereof) shall be determined, any tax attributable thereto shall be assessed and collected, and the applicability of any penalty, addition to tax, or additional amount which relates to an adjustment to any such item or share shall be determined, at the partnership level pursuant to this subchapter."
STATUTORY NOTES AND RELATED SUBSIDIARIES
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2018 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 115-141 effective as if included in section 1101 of Pub. L. 114-74 see section 207 of Pub. L. 115-141 set out as a note under section 6031 of this title.
EFFECTIVE DATE Pub. L. 114-74, title XI, §1101(g), Nov. 2, 2015, 129 Stat. 638, provided that: "(1) IN GENERAL.-Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the amendments made by this section [enacting this subchapter, amending sections 6031, 6330, 6422, 6501, 6503, 6504, 6511, 6512, 6515, 6601, 7421, 7422, 7459, 7482, and 7485 of this title, and repealing this subchapter, subchapter D of this chapter, and part IV of subchapter K of chapter 1 of this title] shall apply to returns filed for partnership taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017."(2) ADMINISTRATIVE ADJUSTMENT REQUESTS.-In the case of [an] administrative adjustment request under section 6227 of such Code [Internal Revenue Code of 1986], the amendments made by this section shall apply to requests with respect to returns filed for partnership taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017."(3) ADJUSTED PARTNERS STATEMENTS.-In the case of a partnership electing the application of section 6226 of such Code, the amendments made by this section shall apply to elections with respect to returns filed for partnership taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017."(4) ELECTION.-A partnership may elect (at such time and in such form and manner as the Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe) for the amendments made by this section (other than the election under section 6221(b) of such Code (as added by this Act)) to apply to any return of the partnership filed for partnership taxable years beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act [Nov. 2, 2015] and before January 1, 2018."
- Internal Revenue Code of 1986
- The term "Internal Revenue Code of 1986" means this title, and the term "Internal Revenue Code of 1939" means the Internal Revenue Code enacted February 10, 1939, as amended.
- Secretary of the Treasury
- The term "Secretary of the Treasury" means the Secretary of the Treasury, personally, and shall not include any delegate of his.
- The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate.
- The term "corporation" includes associations, joint-stock companies, and insurance companies.
- The term "person" shall be construed to mean and include an individual, a trust, estate, partnership, association, company or corporation.
- taxable year
- The term "taxable year" means the calendar year, or the fiscal year ending during such calendar year, upon the basis of which the taxable income is computed under subtitle A. "Taxable year" means, in the case of a return made for a fractional part of a year under the provisions of subtitle A or under regulations prescribed by the Secretary, the period for which such return is made.
- The term "taxpayer" means any person subject to any internal revenue tax.