For purposes of this chapter-
1 See References in Text note below.
12 U.S.C. § 2602
REFERENCES IN TEXTSectionof title 15, referred to in par. (1)(B)(iv), was redesignated section of title 15 by Pub. L. 111-203, title X, §1100A(1)(A), July 21, 2010, 124 Stat. 2107.
AMENDMENTS2010-Par. (9). Pub. L. 111-203 added par. (9).1996-Par. (7). Pub. L. 104-208 substituted "affiliated business arrangement" for "controlled business arrangement".1992-Par. (1)(A). Pub. L. 102-550, §908(b), inserted "or subordinate" after "first" and ", including any such secured loan, the proceeds of which are used to prepay or pay off an existing loan secured by the same property" after "families".Par. (3). Pub. L. 102-550, §908(a), inserted "the origination of a federally related mortgage loan (including, but not limited to, the taking of loan applications, loan processing, and the underwriting and funding of loans)," after "broker,".1983-Pars. (7), (8). Pub. L. 98-181 added pars. (7) and (8).1976-Par. (1). Pub. L. 94-205, §2(1), inserted "(other than temporary financing such as a construction loan)" in introductory text.Par. (1)(A). Pub. L. 94-205, §2(2), inserted "a first lien on" after "is secured by".Par. (1)(B)(iii). Pub. L. 94-205, §2(3)-(5), substituted "is intended to be sold by the originating lender to" for "is eligible for purchase by" and "a" and "is to" for "from any" and "could", respectively, and struck out "or" after "the Government National Mortgage Association".Par. (1)(B)(iv). Pub. L. 94-205, §2(6), inserted ", except that for the purpose of this chapter, the term 'creditor' does not include any agency or instrumentality of any State" after "more than $1,000,000 per year".
STATUTORY NOTES AND RELATED SUBSIDIARIES
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2010 AMENDMENTAmendment by Pub. L. 111-203 effective on the designated transfer date, see section 1100H of Pub. L. 111-203 set out as a note under section of Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1992 AMENDMENT Pub. L. 102-550, title IX, §908(d), Oct. 28, 1992, 106 Stat. 3874, provided that: "This section [amending this section and enacting provisions set out below] shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act [Oct. 28, 1992] and shall not apply retroactively."
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1983 AMENDMENTPub. L. 98-181 title I [title IV, §461(f)], Nov. 30, 1983, 97 Stat. 1232, provided that: "The amendments made by this section [amending this section and sections, , and of this title] shall become effective on January 1, 1984."
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1976 AMENDMENTPub. L. 94-205, §12, Jan. 2, 1976, 89 Stat. 1160, provided that: "The provisions of this Act and the amendments made hereby [enacting sectionof this title, amending this section, sections , , , , and of this title, and section of Title 15, Commerce and Trade, repealing sections and of this title, and enacting and amending provisions set out as notes under section of this title] shall become effective upon enactment [Jan. 2, 1976]. The Secretary may suspend for up to one hundred and eighty days from the date of enactment of this Act [Jan. 2, 1976] any provision of section 4 and section 5 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act of 1974 [sections and of this title], as amended by this Act."
EFFECTIVE DATESection effective 180 days after Dec. 22, 1974, see section 20 of Pub. L. 93-533 set out as a note under sectionof this title.
REGULATIONS Pub. L. 102-550, title IX, §908(c), Oct. 28, 1992, 106 Stat. 3874, provided that: "The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development shall issue regulations to implement the amendments made by this section [amending this section] not later than the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act [Oct. 28, 1992]. The regulations shall be issued after notice and opportunity for public comment pursuant to the provisions of sectionof title 5, United States Code (notwithstanding subsections (a)(2), (b)(B), and (d)(3) of such section)."
- The term "Bureau" means the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection.
- The term "Director" means the Director of the Bureau.
- The term "State" means any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the United States Virgin Islands or any federally recognized Indian tribe, as defined by the Secretary of the Interior under section 5131(a) of title 25.
- The term "affiliate" means any person that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another person.
- The term "consumer" means an individual or an agent, trustee, or representative acting on behalf of an individual.
- The term "credit" means the right granted by a person to a consumer to defer payment of a debt, incur debt and defer its payment, or purchase property or services and defer payment for such purchase.
- designated transfer date
- The term "designated transfer date" means the date established under section 5582 of this title.
- The term "person" means an individual, partnership, company, corporation, association (incorporated or unincorporated), trust, estate, cooperative organization, or other entity.