11 U.S.C. § 1222
CODIFICATIONFor repeal of section effective Oct. 1, 1998, and subsequent reenactment of section, see note set out preceding sectionof this title.
AMENDMENTS2017-Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 115-72, §1005(b)(1)(A)(i), substituted "unless" for "unless-", struck out subpar. (B) designation before "the holder", and struck out subpar. (A) which read as follows: "the claim is a claim owed to a governmental unit that arises as a result of the sale, transfer, exchange, or other disposition of any farm asset used in the debtor's farming operation, in which case the claim shall be treated as an unsecured claim that is not entitled to priority under section 507, but the debt shall be treated in such manner only if the debtor receives a discharge; or".Subsec. (a)(5). Pub. L. 115-72, §1005(b)(1)(A)(ii)-(iv), added par. (5).2005-Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 109-8, §1003(a), amended par. (2) generally. Prior to amendment, par. (2) read as follows: "provide for the full payment, in deferred cash payments, of all claims entitled to priority under section of this title, unless the holder of a particular claim agrees to a different treatment of such claim;".Subsec. (a)(4). Pub. L. 109-8, §213(3), added par. (4).Subsec. (b)(11), (12). Pub. L. 109-8, §213(4), added par. (11) and redesignated former par. (11) as (12).1994-Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 103-394 added subsec. (d).
STATUTORY NOTES AND RELATED SUBSIDIARIES
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2017 AMENDMENT Pub. L. 115-72, div. B, §1005(c), Oct. 26, 2017, 131 Stat. 1234, provided that: "The amendments made by this section [enacting sectionof this title and amending this section and sections and of this title] shall apply to-"(1) any bankruptcy case-"(A) that is pending on the date of enactment of this Act [Oct. 26, 2017];"(B) in which the plan under chapter 12 of title 11, United States Code, has not been confirmed on the date of enactment of this Act; and"(C) relating to which an order of discharge under section of title 11, United States Code, has not been entered; and"(2) any bankruptcy case that commences on or after the date of enactment of this Act."
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 2005 AMENDMENT Pub. L. 109-8, title X, §1003(c), Apr. 20, 2005, 119 Stat. 186, provided that: "This section [amending this section and sectionof this title] and the amendments made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act [Apr. 20, 2005] and shall not apply with respect to cases commenced under title 11 of the United States Code before such date."Amendment by section 213(3), (4) of Pub. L. 109-8 effective 180 days after Apr. 20, 2005, and not applicable with respect to cases commenced under this title before such effective date, except as otherwise provided, see section 1501 of Pub. L. 109-8 set out as a note under section of this title.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1994 AMENDMENTAmendment by Pub. L. 103-394 effective Oct. 22, 1994, and applicable only to agreements entered into after Oct. 22, 1994, see section 702 of Pub. L. 103-394 set out as a note under sectionof this title.
EFFECTIVE DATESPermanent reenactment of section effective July 1, 2005, see section 1001(a)(2) of Pub. L. 109-8 set out as a Repeal, Reenactment, and Termination of Chapter note under sectionof this title. For effective dates of section and amendments extending periods for which section was reenacted prior to permanent reenactment, see Effective Date and Effective Date of 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 Amendment notes set out under section of this title.
- The term "claim" means-(A) right to payment, whether or not such right is reduced to judgment, liquidated, unliquidated, fixed, contingent, matured, unmatured, disputed, undisputed, legal, equitable, secured, or unsecured; or(B) right to an equitable remedy for breach of performance if such breach gives rise to a right to payment, whether or not such right to an equitable remedy is reduced to judgment, fixed, contingent, matured, unmatured, disputed, undisputed, secured, or unsecured.
- consumer debt
- The term "consumer debt" means debt incurred by an individual primarily for a personal, family, or household purpose.
- The term "debt" means liability on a claim.(12A) The term "debt relief agency" means any person who provides any bankruptcy assistance to an assisted person in return for the payment of money or other valuable consideration, or who is a bankruptcy petition preparer under section 110, but does not include-(A) any person who is an officer, director, employee, or agent of a person who provides such assistance or of the bankruptcy petition preparer;(B) a nonprofit organization that is exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;(C) a creditor of such assisted person, to the extent that the creditor is assisting such assisted person to restructure any debt owed by such assisted person to the creditor;(D) a depository institution (as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act) or any Federal credit union or State credit union (as those terms are defined in section 101 of the Federal Credit Union Act), or any affiliate or subsidiary of such depository institution or credit union; or(E) an author, publisher, distributor, or seller of works subject to copyright protection under title 17, when acting in such capacity.
- The term "debtor" means person or municipality concerning which a case under this title has been commenced.(13A) The term "debtor's principal residence"-(A) means a residential structure if used as the principal residence by the debtor, including incidental property, without regard to whether that structure is attached to real property; and(B) includes an individual condominium or cooperative unit, a mobile or manufactured home, or trailer if used as the principal residence by the debtor.
- The term "entity" includes person, estate, trust, governmental unit, and United States trustee.
- farming operation
- The term "farming operation" includes farming, tillage of the soil, dairy farming, ranching, production or raising of crops, poultry, or livestock, and production of poultry or livestock products in an unmanufactured state.(21A) The term "farmout agreement" means a written agreement in which-(A) the owner of a right to drill, produce, or operate liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons on property agrees or has agreed to transfer or assign all or a part of such right to another entity; and(B) such other entity (either directly or through its agents or its assigns), as consideration, agrees to perform drilling, reworking, recompleting, testing, or similar or related operations, to develop or produce liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons on the property.(21B) The term "Federal depository institutions regulatory agency" means-(A) with respect to an insured depository institution (as defined in section 3(c)(2) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act) for which no conservator or receiver has been appointed, the appropriate Federal banking agency (as defined in section 3(q) of such Act);(B) with respect to an insured credit union (including an insured credit union for which the National Credit Union Administration has been appointed conservator or liquidating agent), the National Credit Union Administration;(C) with respect to any insured depository institution for which the Resolution Trust Corporation has been appointed conservator or receiver, the Resolution Trust Corporation; and(D) with respect to any insured depository institution for which the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has been appointed conservator or receiver, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- governmental unit
- The term "governmental unit" means United States; State; Commonwealth; District; Territory; municipality; foreign state; department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States (but not a United States trustee while serving as a trustee in a case under this title), a State, a Commonwealth, a District, a Territory, a municipality, or a foreign state; or other foreign or domestic government.(27A) The term "health care business"-(A) means any public or private entity (without regard to whether that entity is organized for profit or not for profit) that is primarily engaged in offering to the general public facilities and services for-(i) the diagnosis or treatment of injury, deformity, or disease; and(ii) surgical, drug treatment, psychiatric, or obstetric care; and(B) includes-(i) any-(I) general or specialized hospital;(II) ancillary ambulatory, emergency, or surgical treatment facility;(III) hospice;(IV) home health agency; and(V) other health care institution that is similar to an entity referred to in subclause (I), (II), (III), or (IV); and(ii) any long-term care facility, including any-(I) skilled nursing facility;(II) intermediate care facility;(III) assisted living facility;(IV) home for the aged;(V) domiciliary care facility; and(VI) health care institution that is related to a facility referred to in subclause (I), (II), (III), (IV), or (V), if that institution is primarily engaged in offering room, board, laundry, or personal assistance with activities of daily living and incidentals to activities of daily living.(27B) The term "incidental property" means, with respect to a debtor's principal residence-(A) property commonly conveyed with a principal residence in the area where the real property is located;(B) all easements, rights, appurtenances, fixtures, rents, royalties, mineral rights, oil or gas rights or profits, water rights, escrow funds, or insurance proceeds; and(C) all replacements or additions.
- The term "petition" means petition filed under section 301, 302, 303 and 3 1504 of this title, as the case may be, commencing a case under this title.(42A) The term "production payment" means a term overriding royalty satisfiable in cash or in kind-(A) contingent on the production of a liquid or gaseous hydrocarbon from particular real property; and(B) from a specified volume, or a specified value, from the liquid or gaseous hydrocarbon produced from such property, and determined without regard to production costs.
- The term "transfer" means-(A) the creation of a lien;(B) the retention of title as a security interest;(C) the foreclosure of a debtor's equity of redemption; or(D) each mode, direct or indirect, absolute or conditional, voluntary or involuntary, of disposing of or parting with-(i) property; or(ii) an interest in property.(54A) The term "uninsured State member bank" means a State member bank (as defined in section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act) the deposits of which are not insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.