Tenn. Code § 66-5-107

Current through Acts 2023-2024, ch. 963
Section 66-5-107 - Correction of errors
(a) Whenever an error or mistake is made in any deed of conveyance, or in the registration thereof, either in courses, distances, or names, the person liable to injury by such error or mistake may prefer a petition to the circuit court of the county in which the land is situated, setting forth the nature of the mistake or error, and all and singular the matters relative thereto.
(b) Before the petition shall be heard and determined, the petitioner shall advertise in a newspaper published in the judicial district in which the land is situated; and if no newspaper is published in the district, then in a newspaper in the adjoining district, setting forth the substance of the petition, and the term at which petitioner will make application for a hearing, three (3) weeks in succession, at least thirty (30) days before the petition shall be heard.
(c) The court may also direct written notice to be served upon such persons as may be interested in or affected by the relief sought, unless such notice shall appear to the court to have been previously given.
(d) When any person chooses to oppose the granting of the petition, that party may personally enter as a defendant, and, each party having given security for cost, the cause shall stand for hearing as other argument cases.
(e) The court shall examine such testimony as the petitioner may produce; and whenever it shall appear evident, from such testimony, that there was an error or mistake committed in drawing the deed of conveyance, the court shall order the same to be rectified, so as to comport with the intention of the parties; and shall further order the register of the county, in which the land is situated, to register the conveyance agreeably to the correction.
(f) Either party may appeal from the judgment of the court, or prosecute a writ of error thereto.

T.C.A. § 66-5-107

Code 1858, §§ 2014-2019 (deriv. Acts 1813, ch. 83, §§ 1-3); Shan., §§ 3681-3685; Code 1932, §§ 7608-7613; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 64-505 -- 64-510.