Kan. Stat. § 60-256

Current through 2022 Session Acts Chapter 110
Section 60-256 - Summary judgment
(a)By a claiming party. A party claiming relief may move, with or without supporting affidavits or supporting declarations pursuant to K.S.A. 53-601, and amendments thereto, for summary judgment on all or part of the claim.
(b)By a defending party. A party against whom relief is sought may move, with or without supporting affidavits or supporting declarations pursuant to K.S.A. 53-601, and amendments thereto, for summary judgment on all or part of the claim.
(c)Time for a motion; response and reply; proceedings.
(1) These times apply unless a different time is set by local rule or the court orders otherwise:
(A) A party may move for summary judgment at any time until 30 days after the close of all discovery;
(B) a party opposing the motion must file a response within 21 days after the motion is served or a responsive pleading is due, whichever is later; and
(C) the movant may file a reply within 14 days after the response is served.
(2) The judgment sought should be rendered if the pleadings, the discovery and disclosure materials on file, and any affidavits or declarations show that there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and that the movant is entitled to judgment as a matter of law.
(d)Case not fully adjudicated on the motion.
(1)Establishing facts. If summary judgment is not rendered on the whole action, the court should, to the extent practicable, determine what material facts are not genuinely at issue. The court should so determine by examining the pleadings and evidence before it and by interrogating the attorneys. It should then issue an order specifying what facts, including items of damages or other relief, are not genuinely at issue. The facts so specified must be treated as established in the action.
(2)Establishing liability. An interlocutory summary judgment may be rendered on liability alone, even if there is a genuine issue on the amount of damages.
(e)Affidavits or declarations; further testimony.
(1)In general. A supporting or opposing affidavit or declaration must be made on personal knowledge, set out facts that would be admissible in evidence and show that the affiant or declarant is competent to testify on the matters stated. If a paper or part of a paper is referred to in an affidavit or declaration, a sworn or certified copy must be attached to or served with the affidavit or declaration. The court may permit an affidavit or declaration to be supplemented or opposed by depositions, answers to interrogatories or additional affidavits or declarations.
(2)Opposing party's obligation to respond. When a motion for summary judgment is properly made and supported, an opposing party may not rely merely on allegations or denials in its own pleading; rather, its response must, by affidavits or by declarations pursuant to K.S.A. 53-601, and amendments thereto, or as otherwise provided in this section, set out specific facts showing a genuine issue for trial. If the opposing party does not so respond, summary judgment should, if appropriate, be entered against that party.
(f)When affidavits or declarations are unavailable. If a party opposing the motion shows by affidavit or by declaration pursuant to K.S.A. 53-601, and amendments thereto, that, for specified reasons, it cannot present facts essential to justify its opposition, the court may:
(1) Deny the motion;
(2) order a continuance to enable affidavits or declarations to be obtained, depositions to be taken or other discovery to be undertaken; or
(3) issue any other just order.
(g)Affidavits or declarations submitted in bad faith. If satisfied that an affidavit or declaration under this section is submitted in bad faith or solely for delay, the court must order the submitting party or attorney to pay the other party the reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, it incurred as a result. An offending party or attorney may be held in contempt.

K.S.A. 60-256

Amended by L. 2015, ch. 81,§ 22, eff. 6/5/2015.
Amended by L. 2014, ch. 82,§ 34, eff. 7/1/2014.
Amended by L. 2010, ch. 135,§ 129, eff. 7/1/2010.
L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-256; L. 1986, ch. 215, § 11; L. 1987, ch. 218, § 5; L. 1997, ch. 173, § 29; L. 2007, ch. 190, § 18; July 1.