Haw. Rev. Stat. § 661-25

Current through 2023 Legislative Session
Section 661-25 - Action by private persons
(a) A person may bring a civil action for a violation of section 661-21 for the person and for the State. The action shall be brought in the name of the State. The action may be dismissed only with the written consent of the court, taking into account the best interests of the parties involved and the public purposes behind this part.
(b) A copy of the complaint and written disclosure of substantially all material evidence and information the person possesses shall be served on the State in accordance with the Hawaii rules of civil procedure. The complaint shall be filed in camera, shall remain under seal for at least sixty days, and shall not be served on the defendant until the court so orders. The State may elect to intervene and proceed with the action within sixty days after it receives both the complaint and the material evidence and information.
(c) The State may, for good cause shown, move the court for extensions of the time during which the complaint remains under seal under subsection (b). Any such motions may be supported by affidavits or other submissions in camera. The defendant shall not be required to respond to any complaint filed under this section until twenty days after the complaint is unsealed and served upon the defendant in accordance with the Hawaii rules of civil procedure.
(d) Before the expiration of the sixty-day period or any extension obtained, the State shall:
(1) Proceed with the action, in which case the action shall be conducted by the State and the seal shall be lifted; or
(2) Notify the court that it declines to take over the action, in which case the person bringing the action shall have the right to conduct the action and the seal shall be lifted.
(e) When a person brings an action under this section, no person other than the State may intervene or bring a related action based on the facts underlying the pending action.

HRS § 661-25

L 2000, c 126 , pt of §1; am L 2001, c 55, §28(4) .