Cal. Civ. Code § 2955

Current through the 2023 Legislative Session.
Section 2955 - Deposit and investment of money held in impound account
(a) Money held by a mortgagee or a beneficiary of a deed of trust on real property in this state, or held by a vendor on a contract of sale of real property in this state, in an impound account for the payment of taxes and assessments or insurance premiums or other purposes on or relating to the property, shall be retained in this state and, if invested, shall be invested only with residents of this state in the case of individuals, or with partnerships, corporations, or other persons, or the branches or subsidiaries thereof, which are engaged in business within this state.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a mortgagee or beneficiary of a deed of trust, secured by a first lien on real property, may deposit money held for the payment of taxes and assessments or insurance premiums or other purposes in an impound account in an out-of-state depository institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation if the mortgagee or beneficiary is any one of the following:
(1) The Federal National Mortgage Association, the Government National Mortgage Association, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, the Federal Housing Administration, or the Veteran's Administration.
(2) A bank or subsidiary thereof, bank holding company or subsidiary thereof, trust company, savings bank or savings and loan association or subsidiary thereof, savings bank or savings association holding company or subsidiary thereof, credit union, industrial bank or industrial loan company, commercial finance lender, personal property broker, consumer finance lender, or insurer doing business under the authority of and in accordance with the laws of this state, any other state, or of the United States relating to banks, trust companies, savings banks or savings associations, credit unions, industrial banks or industrial loan companies, commercial finance lenders, personal property brokers, consumer finance lenders, or insurers, as evidenced by a license, certificate, or charter issued by the United States or a state, district, territory, or commonwealth of the United States.
(3) Trustees of a pension, profit-sharing, or welfare fund, if the pension, profit-sharing, or welfare fund has a net worth of not less than fifteen million dollars ($15,000,000).
(4) A corporation with outstanding securities registered under Section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, or a wholly owned subsidiary of that corporation.
(5) A syndication or other combination of any of the entities specified in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, that is organized to purchase the promissory note.
(6) The California Housing Finance Agency or a local housing finance agency organized under the Health and Safety Code.
(7) A licensed real estate broker selling all or part of the loan, note, or contract to a lender or purchaser described in paragraphs (1) to (6), inclusive, of this subdivision.
(8) A licensed residential mortgage lender or servicer when acting under the authority of that license.
(c) A mortgagee or beneficiary of a deed of trust who deposits funds held in trust in an out-of-state depository institution in accordance with subdivision (b) shall make available, in this state, the books, records, and files pertaining to those trust accounts to the appropriate state regulatory department or agency, or pay the reasonable expenses for travel and lodging incurred by the regulatory department or agency in order to conduct an examination at an out-of-state location.
(d) The Attorney General may bring an action on behalf of the people of California to enjoin a violation of subdivision (a) or subdivision (b).

Ca. Civ. Code § 2955

Amended (as amended by Stats. 1992, Ch. 1055, Sec. 3) by Stats. 1995, Ch. 564, Sec. 5. Effective January 1, 1996.