Ky. Rev. Stat. § 189.380

Current through 2022 Ky. Acts ch. 240 and 2022SP1 ch. 1
Section 189.380 - Signals
(1) A person shall not turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway until the movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.
(2) A signal indicating the intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously for not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the motor vehicle before the turn.
(3) A bus driver shall not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal to traffic following the bus.
(4) All signals required for a motor vehicle shall be given by signal lamps or mechanical signal devices.
(5) A signal required for a vehicle that is not a motor vehicle may be given by either hand signals, signal lamps, or mechanical signal devices. The signal shall be given intermittently for the last fifty (50) feet traveled by the vehicle before the turn.
(6) Hand signals shall be executed in the following manner when operating a vehicle that is not a motor vehicle:
(a) The hand and arm shall be extended horizontally from the left side of the vehicle to indicate a left turn;
(b) The left arm shall be extended horizontally with the hand and arm extended upward from the elbow or the right arm and hand shall be extended horizontally to indicate a right turn;
(c) Either arm shall be extended horizontally with the hand and arm extended downward from the elbow to indicate a stop or decrease in speed.

KRS 189.380

Effective:7/15/1996
Amended 1996, Ky. Acts ch. 327, sec. 2, effective7/15/1996. -- Amended 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 203, sec. 2, effective 7/15/1994. -- Amended 1988 Ky. Acts ch. 262, sec. 3, effective 7/15/1988. -- Amended 1978 Ky. Acts ch. 46, sec. 6, effective 6/17/1978. -- Amended 1960 Ky. Acts ch. 123, sec. 3, effective 6/16/1960. -- Amended 1954 Ky. Acts ch. 142, sec. 1. -- Amended 1950 Ky. Acts ch. 54, sec. 1. -- Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective 10/1/1942, from Ky. Stat. secs. 2739g-50, 2739g-69p.