The purpose of this section is to direct the Secretary to further the commercialization of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies through a five-year program.
Cost sharing for projects under this section shall be conducted according to the procedures described in section 13542(b) and (c) of this title.
Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to require the Secretary to reestablish the Advisory Committee in place under this subsection as of October 24, 1992, or to perform again any duties performed by such advisory committee before October 24, 1992.
Projects under this section may include the following technologies:
The Secretary shall, within 120 days after the closing date established under paragraph (1)(B), select proposals to receive financial assistance under this section. In selecting proposals under this paragraph, the Secretary shall-
There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary for carrying out this section $50,000,000 for fiscal year 1994.
42 U.S.C. § 12005
REFERENCES IN TEXTThis chapter, referred to in subsec. (b)(4)(A), was in the original "this Act", meaning Pub. L. 101-218, 103 Stat. 1859, known as the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Technology Competitiveness Act of 1989, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under sectionof this title and Tables.
AMENDMENTS1992- Pub. L. 102-486 amended section generally, substituting provisions relating to demonstration and commercial application projects for renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies for provisions relating to use of joint ventures to further commercialization of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
TERMINATION OF ADVISORY COMMITTEES Advisory committees established after Jan. 5, 1973, to terminate not later than the expiration of the 2-year period beginning on the date of their establishment, unless, in the case of a committee established by the President or an officer of the Federal Government, such committee is renewed by appropriate action prior to the expiration of such 2-year period, or in the case of a committee established by Congress, its duration is otherwise provided by law. See sections 3(2) and 14 of Pub. L. 92-463, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 770, 776, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
- Advisory Committee
- The term "Advisory Committee" means the Green Building Advisory Committee established under section 484.1
- The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.1 See References in Text note below.
- The terms "federally assisted housing" and "project" mean-(A) a public housing project (as such term is defined in section 3(b) of the United States Housing Act of 1937 [ 42 U.S.C. 1437a(b) ]);(B) housing for which project-based assistance is provided under section 8 of the United States Housing Act of 1937 [ 42 U.S.C. 1437f ];(C) housing that is assisted under section 1701q of title 12;(D) housing that is assisted under section 1701q of title 12, as such section existed before November 28, 1990;(E) housing financed by a loan or mortgage insured under section 1715l(d)(3) of title 12 that bears interest at a rate determined under the proviso of section 1715l(d)(5) of title 12;(F) housing insured, assisted, or held by the Secretary or a State or State agency under section 1715z-1 of title 12;(G) housing constructed or substantially rehabilitated pursuant to assistance provided under section 8(b)(2) of the United States Housing Act of 1937 [ 42 U.S.C. 1437f(b)(2) ], as in effect before October 1, 1983, that is assisted under a contract for assistance under such section; and(H) housing that is assisted under section 8013 1 of this title.
- United States
- the term "United States" means the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any other Commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States.1 So in original. Probably should be "; and".
- the term "invention" means an invention or discovery that is patented or for which a patent may be obtained under title 35, or any novel variety of plant that is protected or for which plant variety protection may be obtained under the Plant Variety Protection Act ( 7 U.S.C. 2321 et seq.) and that is conceived or reduced to practice as a result of work under an agreement entered into under this chapter;
- source reduction
- the term "source reduction" means any practice which-(A) reduces the amount of any hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment, including fugitive emissions, prior to recycling, treatment, or disposal; and(B) reduces the hazards to the public health and the environment associated with the release of such substances, pollutants, or contaminants,including equipment or technology modifications, process or procedure modifications, reformulation or redesign of products, substitution of raw materials, and improvements in housekeeping, maintenance, training, and inventory control, but not including any practice which alters the physical, chemical, or biological characteristics or the volume of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant through a process or activity which itself is not integral to and necessary for the production of a product or the providing of a service; 1