Only the following nonorganically produced agricultural products may be used as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as “organic,” only in accordance with any restrictions specified in this section, and only when the product is not commercially available in organic form.
(a) Carnauba wax
(b) Casings, from processed intestines.
(c) Celery powder.
(d) Colors derived from agricultural products - Must not be produced using synthetic solvents and carrier systems or any artificial preservative.
(1) Beet juice extract color - derived from Beta vulgaris L, except must not be produced from sugarbeets.
(2) Beta-carotene extract color - derived from carrots (Daucus carota L.) or algae (Dunaliella salina).
(3) Black currant juice color - derived from Ribes nigrum L.
(4) Black/purple carrot juice color - derived from Daucus carota L.
(5) Blueberry juice color - derived from blueberries (Vaccinium spp.).
(6) Carrot juice color - derived from Daucus carota L.
(7) Cherry juice color - derived from Prunus avium (L.) L. or Prunus cerasus L.
(8) Chokeberry, aronia juice color - derived from Aronia arbutifolia (L.) Pers. or Aronia melanocarpa (Michx.) Elliott.
(9) Elderberry juice color - derived from Sambucus nigra L.
(10) Grape juice color - derived from Vitis vinifera L.
(11) Grape skin extract color - derived from Vitis vinifera L.
(12) Paprika color - derived from dried powder or vegetable oil extract of Capsicum annuum L.
(13) Pumpkin juice color - derived from Cucurbita pepo L. orCucurbita maxima Duchesne.
(14) Purple sweet potato juice color - derived from Ipomoea batatas L. or Solanum tuberosum L.
(15) Red cabbage extract color - derived from Brassica oleracea L.
(16) Red radish extract color - derived from Raphanus sativus L.
(17) Saffron extract color - derived from Crocus sativus L.
(18) Turmeric extract color - derived from Curcuma longa L.
(e) Fish oil (Fatty acid CAS #'s: 10417-94-4, and 25167-62-8) - stabilized with organic ingredients or only with ingredients on the National List, §§ 205.605 and 205.606.
(f) Fructooligosaccharides (CAS # 308066-66-2).
(g) Gelatin (CAS # 9000-70-8).
(h) Glycerin (CAS # 56-81-5) - produced from agricultural source materials and processed using biological or mechanical/physical methods as described under § 205.270(a).
(i) Gums - water extracted only (Arabic; Guar; Locust bean; and Carob bean).
(j) Inulin-oligofructose enriched (CAS # 9005-80-5).
(k) Kelp - for use only as a thickener and dietary supplement.
(l) Konjac flour (CAS # 37220-17-0).
(m) Lecithin - de-oiled.
(n) Orange pulp, dried.
(o) Orange shellac-unbleached (CAS # 9000-59-3).
(p) Pectin (non-amidated forms only).
(q) Potassium acid tartrate.
(r) Seaweed, Pacific kombu.
(1) Cornstarch (native).
(2) Sweet potato starch - for bean thread production only.
(t) Tragacanth gum (CAS #-9000-65-1).
(u) Turkish bay leaves.
(v) Wakame seaweed (Undaria pinnatifida).
(w) Whey protein concentrate.
[72 FR 35140, June 27, 2007, as amended at 75 FR 77524, Dec. 13, 2010; 77 FR 8092, Feb. 14, 2012; 77 FR 33299, June 6, 2012; 77 FR 44429, July 30, 2012; 78 FR 31821, May 28, 2013; 79 FR 58663, Sept. 30, 2014; 80 FR 77234, Dec. 12, 2015; 82 FR 31244, July 6, 2017; 83 FR 66571, Dec. 27, 2018; 84 18136, Apr. 30, 2019]