Case No.: SACV 15-0837-DOC (JCGx)
A jury trial in this matter took place from April 4 to 14, 2017, on claims asserted by Plaintiffs Townsend Farms, Inc. ("Townsend Farms"), Purely Pomegranate, Inc. ("PPI"), and Valley Forge Insurance Company ("Valley Forge") (collectively "Plaintiffs").
Before the jury were claims for equitable indemnity and negligence by Townsend Farms, PPI, and Valley Forge; claims for negligent and intentional misrepresentation by Townsend Farms and PPI; and Townsend Farms' assigned claim for breach of contract. The jury found Defendants Göknur Gida Maddeleri Enerji Imalat Ithalat Ihracat Ticaret ve Sanayi A.Ş. ("Göknur") and United Juice Corp. ("United Juice") liable on all of these claims. Redacted Verdict Form ("Verdict Form") (Dkt. 235).
Plaintiffs' claims for violation of the UCL and declaratory relief were tried to the Court, as was Plaintiffs' claim that United Juice is the alter ego of Göknur. On July 25, 2015, the Court found for Defendants and against Plaintiffs on the UCL and declaratory relief claims. Plaintiffs' alter ego claim is moot given the jury's verdict in favor of Plaintiffs separately against both Göknur and United Juice on all claims.
Based upon the facts found by the jury and the evidence at trial, the Court hereby declares and adjudges:
1. Plaintiffs PPI, Valley Forge, and TFI's respective Seventh and Eighteenth Claims for Declaratory Relief are DENIED.
2. Plaintiffs PPI, Valley Forge, TFI's Twentieth Claim for violation of the UCL is DENIED AS MOOT.
Based upon the facts found by the jury and the evidence at trial, Plaintiffs are entitled to a money judgment as follows:
1. PPI is entitled to recover from the Göknur and United Juice, jointly and severally, the sum of $78,671.16 for compensatory damages.
2. PPI is further entitled to recover from Göknur and United Juice, jointly and severally, the sum of $500,000.00 in punitive damages.
3. PPI is entitled to post-judgment interest at the federal rate pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1961.
4. TFI is entitled to recover from the Göknur and United Juice, jointly and severally, the sum of $2,700,000 for compensatory damages.
5. TFI is further entitled to recover from Göknur and United Juice, jointly and severally, the sum of $4,800,000.00 in punitive damages.
6. TFI is entitled to post-judgment interest at the federal rate pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1961.
7. Plaintiffs are not entitled to any monetary relief other than as stated above.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND DECREED THAT, finding no just reason for delay, this Judgment is certified as final pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 54(b).
IT IS SO ADJUDGED.
Dated: July 26, 2017
Hon. David O. Carter
U.S. District Court Judge