Womble Carlyle’s Economic Development Digest aggregates news, opportunities and legislation impacting business in the United States.
In this week's Economic Development Digest:
- North Carolina film workers flee to Georgia after legislature slashes incentive program, Atlanta Business Chronicle (July 23, 2015)North Carolina opted to end its tax credit program in 2014. TV and film productions, and the crew workers, are now packing their bags and relocating to Georgia, which provides incentives.
- Georgia hires South Carolina's Chinese investment guru, Metro Atlanta CEO (August 13, 2015)
- Georgia hires John Ling to assist with Chinese economic development projects.
- Unintended consequences of solar farms, The Herald-Sun (August 8, 2015)North Carolina evaluates the solar farm business and the potential negative impact on the state's tax structure and economy.
- Senate retools sales tax proposal, Winston-Salem Journal (August 8, 2015)
- An economic development bill includes a change for how sales tax revenues are distributed among counties.
- NC Senate unveils compromise on sales tax distribution, jobs incentives, The News & Observer (August 6, 2015)
- The North Carolina Senate attempts to reach a compromise on sales tax distribution and economic development incentives related matters.
- Custom-built carrots: Attracting growth firms calls for smart incentives, Commercial Property Executive (July 2015)
- WCSR partner Morris Ellison touts the importance of knowledge based jobs in this modern economy.
- Economist on midyear job growth: Charleston 'doing the best in the state', Charleston Regional Business Journal (July 28, 2015)
- Economists say that Charleston is doing the best job in the State on economic development growth.